09 November 2006

Logical Time and the Assertion of Anticipated Certainty

...I stole the title from a Lacan essay (a very short one) that I'm working with for a paper. Er, excuse me. "Working" should have quotes on it because, obviously, I'm not working on it at this very moment.

Today it is warmer than normal for November, but there's a chill wind and it feels like fall. I dig it.

I find it a little strange that although none of my classes are spectactular this semester, the three seminars I'm taking fit together neatly. One of the things I liked about the U.Minn program is that it encourages you (read: requires you) to take classes outside of music. After spending the better part of four years in the Moore Musical Arts Center with nary an academic escape, I'm pleased to get across the river. Even if I only have ten minutes to do it.

I feel like I'm getting my critical theory chops not just back into shape, but improving them. This, again, is a good change from BG, where I was often moving in directions that were foreign to the faculty. I'm having to think hard about how I think, and having to get my fingers 'round some fairly slippery intellectual constructs.

In the meantime, my birthday came and went. Had a good visit with my brother (who came out from Sioux Falls), ate a lot of pizza, played the last two games of this year's fall ultimate league, and generally ignored anything have to do with school for 55 hours or so.

Post-election thoughts: huzzah for two years of gridlock, bickering, and nothing happening (hopefully). How sad is it when the prospect of two years of a frozen government is an improvement?

Lacan Calling
(with apologies to The Clash)

Lacan calling the battement de temps
Black discs and white, the warden's bomb
Lacan calling the anxiety
How many discs does the prisoner see?
Lacan calling, don't dare look at him
The crazy logician, he ain't all that dim
Lacan calling, see we ain't got no time
From moment to moment, the logic is dyin'


(CHORUS)
The moment is coming, conclusions are in
Hesitation and quickstep, for freedom and gin
The warden is waiting, I'm nothing but fear
Cause Lacan is burning and I, I have a white disc

1 Comments:

Blogger Glitch said...

Elections would be much better if done steel cage, to the death. I don't even mind if they choose champions, although I think that should be discussed before hand. Democracy, and all that.

At least that way, the televised parts would get more ratings, and a lot more people would be interested.

And in the end, the results would be the same, more the pity. Sad little humans.

7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home